Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Firefly Books?
- Firefly Books Ltd., established in 1977, is a North American publisher of non-fiction and distributor of non-fiction and children's books. Firefly's goal is to bring readers beautifully produced books written by experts at reasonable prices.
- Where is Firefly Books located?
- Firefly Books Ltd. 50 Staples Avenue Unit 1 Richmond Hill, Ontario L4B 0A7
- Where do I find Firefly Books contact information?
- Click here for comprehensive Firefly contact information.
- Who do I contact concerning the Firefly Books website?
- Please contact the site's webmaster
- Where are Firefly's books sold?
- Firefly books are available wherever books are sold. In addition to bookstores and online booksellers, many specialty stores carry our books. You can also search your local public library for a Firefly book. Ordering info here.
- How do I order bulk quantities or set up an account?
- Ordering info here.
- How do I submit a manuscript or tell you about a book idea?
- We do not accept unsolicited manuscripts but accept proposals for illustrated non-fiction. Please familiarize yourself with the works Firefly Books publishes before writing to us. We do not publish children's books. Proposals must be mailed and contain the following to receive consideration: one-page letter describing the book's purpose and audience, author resume, outline or table of contents, sample chapter, sample images (20 laser or high quality color prints, do not send originals or disks). Mail to: Editorial Submissions Firefly Books Ltd. 50 Staples Ave., Unit 1 Richmond Hill, Ontario L4B 0A7 We respond to proposals in 3-4 months of receipt. Should we decline the submission, materials will only be returned if a self-addressed and properly stamped envelope is included. We cannot acknowledge or respond to e-mailed submissions or queries.
- I am a member of the media, may I request a media review copy?
- Accredited members of the media may request a book by e-mailing Publicity Please include full contact information and publication name. You may also fax your request on company letterhead. Freelance writers include publication and your editor's name.
- Where do I send tear sheets or copy of a review I published?
- Please send a copy of your review to: Publicity Department Firefly Books Ltd. 50 Staples Ave., Unit 1 Richmond Hill, Ontario L4B 0A7
- I wish to interview an author, who should I contact?
- Please contact Publicity
- Who do I ask for a cover image?
- Please contact Publicity
- May I excerpt or reprint part of a book?
- Please contact Rights and Contracts
- I am a professor/course instructor, who do I contact for a desk/examination copy?
- More info here.
- How do I contact an author as a member of the public?
- Please mail your query to an author in care of Firefly Books. For example, address it to: Terence Dickinson, c/o Firefly Books, 50 Staples Ave., Unit 1, Richmond Hill, ON, L4B 0A7
- May I get promotional materials for my school library?
- Bookmarks or posters are subject to availability. Please contact Publicity
- Does Firefly donate books for charity events or fundraisers?
- We appreciate the opportunity to promote our books to your audience. Please contact us with details about your silent auction, fundraiser, etc., and let us know how participating organizations will be recognized. Please contact Publicity
- There is a printing problem with a Firefly Book I purchased...
- If you find missing pages or believe a book you have bought is defective in some way please return it to the store where it was purchased.
- Would Firefly consider advertising books in my publication?
- Firefly Books advertises its books in various print publications, please send rate card and information to Publicity
- Does Firefly Books provide options for Special Markets and Corporate Sales?
- Yes. Firefly Books is active in special and corporate markets offering a wide range of books throughout virtually all book categories. More info here.
- May I submit my photographs for consideration?
- Due to the large amount of photography submissions we receive for our calendar lines, we cannot promise to respond to all submissions or return any material that we receive unsolicited. However, if you would like to submit a portfolio of images that are suitable to the calendars that Firefly publishes then please send sample images (20 laser or high quality color prints, do not send originals or disks) and contact information to: Calendar Submissions Firefly Books Ltd. 50 Staples Ave., Unit 1, Richmond Hill, Ontario L4B 0A7
About Firefly Books
Firefly Books Ltd., established in 1977, is a North American publisher and distributor of non-fiction and children's books. Firefly's goal is to bring readers beautifully produced books written by experts at reasonable prices. A librarian reviewing one of our titles noted our success:
"Firefly Books deserves an award for publishing some of the most beautiful and downright inexpensive books on the retail market. If they can do it, so too can other publishing companies. Firefly is to be commended and congratulated for their efforts in publishing high quality books in an increasingly ridiculous and overpriced market." (Lynn C. Westney, Associate Reference Librarian, University of Illinois at Chicago Library in E-STREAMS, August 2002). Read the full review here.
Most of our books are tightly focused, contain full color photographs and illustrations throughout, and are printed on quality paper with durable bindings. What one critic said about White-Tailed Deer sums up what we try to do with all our books:
"Firefly Books does a consistently excellent job with its books about the natural world, especially animals ... White-Tailed Deer is a good example of what this publisher does consistently well: focus on one species, use quality paper, fill the book with gorgeous color photos of the animal and select an author who both knows the subject and can write well about it." (Terry Mapes, Book Talk column, News Journal (Mansfield, OH), Fall 1999)
Firefly Books has particular strengths in cookbooks, gardening, astronomy, health, natural history, pictorial books, reference books (especially for children) and sports. In addition to publishing our own children's books Firefly works closely with some of the world's best publishers to bring to you an extensive range of books for all ages and reading abilities. Our children's titles are second to none.
As well as publishing its own books, Firefly also provides distribution and marketing for companies with similar philosophies and publishing programs to our own. Among our clients are Annick Press, Robert Rose Inc., Boston Mills Press, Mikaya Press, Key Porter Books (US distribution only), Sound and Vision. See a full list of client publishers
Firefly Books is proud to have published books as diverse as Robert Munsch and Sheila McGraw's sentimental favorite Love You Forever (over 20 million copies in print) to the best introduction to amateur astronomy available: Terence Dickinson's Nightwatch: A Practical Guide to Viewing the Universe (Fourth Edition: Revised and Expanded for Use Through 2018).
Firefly Books uses FSC paper. For more info on the Forest Stewardship Council please visit www.fsc.org.