An outstanding and essential resource for anyone who interacts with non-English speakers.
The Firefly Five Language Visual Dictionary is an unparalleled multilingual reference for our increasingly multillingual world. More than 15 million American households have a primary language that is not English. The major ones are the Indo-European languages, which include Spanish, German, Italian, French and English.
The dictionary covers all five of these languages. Its scope and depth are immense. The terminology is well researched. With more than 1000 pages and 5000 entries, you simply will not find a more comprehensive resource.
The contents are:
- Universe and Earth -- Celestial Bodies, Astronomical Observation, Astronautics, Geography, Geology, Meteorology, Environment
- Plants and Gardening
- Animal Kingdom -- Simple Organisms and Echinoderms, Insects and Arachnids, Mollusks, Crustaceans, Fishes, Amphibians, Reptiles, Birds, Rodents and Lagomorphs, Insectivorous Mammals, Ungulate Mammals, Carnivorous Mammals, Marine Mammals, Primate Mammals, Marsupial Mammals, Flying Mammals
- The Human Being -- Human Body, Anatomy, Sense Organs
- Food and Kitchen
- House and Do-It-Yourself -- Location, Structure of a House, Elements of a House, Heating, Air Conditioning, Plumbing, Electricity, House Furniture, Do-It-Yourself
- Clothing and Personal Accessories -- Clothing, Personal Accessories, Personal Articles
- Arts and Architecture -- Fine Arts, Performing Arts, Visual Arts, Music, Architecture
- Communications and Office Automation
- Transportation -- Road, Rail, Maritime, Air Transport
- Science and Energy -- Chemistry, Physics (Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, Optics), Measuring Devices, Scientific Symbols, Geothermal and Fossil Energy, Hydroelectricity, Nuclear Energy.
Showing what other dictionaries can only describe, the Firefly Five Language Visual Dictionary is the ultimate reference for students, language learners, travelers, businesspeople, community workers and anyone interested in learning a new language and discovering more about the world.